4.28.2015

A Split Second

Last Thursday I had been running around all morning doing errands with the boys, then got home and quickly got busy making lunches and tidying up the house.  During all this I didn't realize my phone had been on silent and I had missed 6 consecutive calls from the husband.  I quickly called him but it would automatically go to voice mail.   I didn't think too much of it cause I know that he has bad reception at his current job site.  Five minutes later we finally got a hold of each other and I hear it in his voice, something had happened.   There had been an accident at his site but he wanted to make sure I knew he was ok and that it wasn't him before I turned on the tv and saw the news.

I switched from panic, to relief, to sadness in the space of a few minutes.  I panicked when I could hear in his voice that he wasn't just calling to check in and say hi.  I had this huge sense of relief when he told me that he was ok and not the one involved in the accident.  Then I had this overwhelming sense of sadness come over me for the wife that wouldn't be getting this same call; but one that no spouse wants to get.

Gianni is an industrial electrician and he mainly works on high rise buildings that are under construction.  Sometimes I chose to not even think about the risks that his job entails because if not I would live in perpetual anxiety over it.  He likes to tell me that the risks are minimal compared to other trades that he works with but it doesn't do much for my worries.  This particular building that he's working on right now is being built from the ground up, and the accident involved a concrete former who had poorly tied himself to the safety constraints and fell five floors.  It was a decision that unfortunately cost him his life, leaving behind a  grieving widow and an eleven year old daughter without her father.  There are always risks on construction sites in general, so it really is essential and important for the people to adhere to all safety rules and think of any and all consequences.

I am constantly reminding Gianni that he has people who are dependent on him and who need him. That he has a family, should always be at the back of his mind in any decisions he makes at work. Thankfully I make these reminders for my own peace of mind since he is known for harassing his own crew to take the extra steps to ensure a safe work environment. 

I spent the rest of the day rattled, lost in the thought that it took one spilt second for someone's life to change forever.  I mourned for the man who carelessly took a risk that wasn't worth taking.  But I mourned more for his wife and daughter.  For those who stayed behind having to live without him.  For that call that sent that poor family's life spiralling. 

When Gianni walked in the door that evening, he went to the kids first per usual and gave them his daily post work cuddles.  The I grabbed him and held him a little tighter than usual.  Held him.  Kissed him.  Held him some more.  And I thanked all the Gods that he came home to me safely tonight.






SHARE THIS POST - {PINTEREST}

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS